April 15, 2015

O is for Optimism

Optimism is something I have in short supply. I had a great rush of it over the last month, but it is tapering and waning quickly. Today I lost a little more and I'm looking at the piece I'm writing for a submission call and thinking I'm going to trash it. I'm not optimistic. I'm not exactly realistic either. I expect the worst in the hope that the world will surprise me. It does from time to time, but my view isn't that far from the mark. This should mean I'm not pessimistic either, but I don't know if I can agree with that. By expecting the worst, am I not by definition a pessimist?
I'm so glad spring is really here. The sun is ideal for having a bright outlook, and I need that again.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I've never been an optimist either. I call myself a realist, but that's because I've had so many bad things happen, I've learned it's easier to be prepared for the worst.

    And I think too, it's only natural for buzzes to fade away. The slump after my happy high is pretty harsh, mostly because I'm not used to being happy high. Maybe it's the same for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am used to slumps. I just hope this one isn't long like the last. Hopefully I'll be back at it in a few weeks not months and months.

    ReplyDelete